Is laughter a daily priority for you? (No, don’t laugh, that’s a serious question.) Most of us live such stressful lives that laughter doesn’t even appear on our radar. Did you know that studies have shown that using your funny bone has some serious health benefits? You need to giggle, guffaw, chortle or chuckle – and do it daily if you want to enjoy these health benefits that are nothing to snicker at:
- Increased Blood Flow: Laughing helps to increase blood flow, which can help protect you from heart disease and cardiovascular issues. It also stimulates your heart (as a muscle) which makes the heart stronger and better able to handle its daily function.
- Endorphin Release: The feeling of the endorphins that are released when you laugh is often described as a “natural high.” Studies have shown that just 15 minutes of laughter (and the release of these endorphins) can increase pain tolerance by a whopping 10 percent!
- Stress Relief: Laughing reduces the production of many stress and anxiety-associated hormones, as well as increasing the production of anti-body producing T-cells. So you can help lower tension, boost your immunity and fight illness all at the same time.
- Burning Calories: Has your stomach felt sore after a great big laugh? That’s because your diaphragm and abdominals are contracting. Granted it’s not the equivalent of a gym workout, but by raising your heart rate and burning calories, it’s a definite bonus.
- Improved Health: Many studies have shown that laughter is a great contributor for good overall health. People who laugh often tend to live longer, develop better social relationships and enjoy life more. Laughter’s contagious, so help spread it around!
Want to turn that frown upside down? Join us for our Yuk Yuk’s Comedy Club night on May 23rd! http://www.hockley.com/Yuk-Yuk%27s-May-23rd%21b