As summer continues into August, so does the fun at Hockley Valley Resort! Gather your family, friends or colleagues and get away close to home. Enjoy the spectacular views, amazing food, award-winning golf course, 8,000 sq. ft. spa, and so much more… Here are just a few of the things happening at the resort in August:
Enjoy the silence: Recharge and unwind with in the spa this month! From soothing massages to aromatic scrubs and hydrating facials, we’ve got everything you need to leave your stress behind. Looking for a little something extra? Try lunch in our Oasis café and Sunday morning poolside yoga for the perfect finish! For more information, visit us here: http://www.hockley.com/?p=5819
Grab a bite: Feeling peckish? Our Babbo bar is now offering a $4 bites menu every day from 4pm to 6pm. Choose from items like: fried shrimp morsels, meatball slider, clams arrabiata and more – or order the menu for $28. Experience our local, fresh, house-made fare and really take a bite out of summer! For the complete menu, visit us here: http://www.hockley.com/eat/#babbo
Workin’ for the weekend: Get your weekend off to a great start with dinner reservations in our signature restaurant, cabin, followed by live music by the pool on Fridays. Add some spice to your Saturday and Sunday with Pizza inn the Garden, from 11-3. Enjoy the views, escape the city and fill your weekend with fun! Check out all of our amenities and events on our website at www.hockley.com
Looking for our complete event calendar? Here it is: http://www.hockley.com/events-calendar/
In Canada, we wait all year for the summer heat; for pools, gardens and outside fun! Thankfully, most of us have embraced the need to protect ourselves from the sun and skin cancer. Did you know there are 2 types of sunscreen, physical and chemical? Here is some information from our spa and other sources (listed below) that might help you make the choice that’s right for you:
Physical sunscreen: what is it?
- It blocks the sun’s rays, reflecting UV radiation back into the atmosphere using ingredients such as titanium dioxide and zinc oxide.
- The ingredients scatter both UVA and UVB rays, providing your skin with full protection from sun damage.
- This type of sunscreen provides immediate protection as soon as it’s applied.
Chemical sunscreen: what is it?
- It forms a thin film on the skin that reduces ultraviolet radiation (UVR) penetration to the skin.
- Includes chemical ingredients like avobenzone and benzophenone, which absorb UV rays.
- You will need to wait 20 minutes after applying chemical sunscreen before its protection kicks in.
- There is a concern among some that this type of sunscreen may cause free radicals, causing irritation, and in some cases damage, to the skin.
No matter which sunscreen you choose, remember to re-apply regularly to keep your protection consistent throughout the day.
Looking for more great tips? Check out our blog here: http://www.hockley.com/blog/
Sources: theglow.com, skinacea.com
This Canada Day, celebrate our country’s awesomeness in a delicious way! Whether it’s ribs, wings, chicken – or anything else, for that matter – our ‘cabin barbecue sauce’ is sure to impress… This recipe is straight from our kitchen, so the quantities are large – you’ll need to adjust the recipe to accommodate your crowd.
10 lbs. ripe tomatoes
1L can tomatoes
3 oz. tomato paste
4 cups brown sugar
1 cup honey
1 cup molasses
1 head garlic
250 ml champagne vinegar
50 ml white balsamic vinegar
2 onions, minced
Spices, to taste: cinnamon, cloves, smoked paprika, smoked ginger, hot pepper
Mix all ingredients in a pot. Simmer over low heat until the mixture thickens. Cool and hand blend to make the consistency even. Pass through a sieve to remove any leftover chunks. Store in an airtight container. Enjoy!
Looking for more recipes from our kitchen? Check our blog here: http://www.hockley.com/?s=recipe
Are you planning your wedding? Have you thought about your centrepieces? Bridal centrepieces are a huge reception focal point; often they’re an extension of your colour choices, style and theme. Floral centrepieces are timeless, of course, but there’s another trend emerging… “So many separate elements tie into the search for the perfect centrepiece: seasonality, colour, size, cost,” explains Christine Lawson, our Wedding and Social Sales Manager, “Recently we’ve seen couples leaning towards herb boxes, plants and more nature-based options, versus the traditional floral bouquet.”
Why are centrepieces getting an earthy makeover? Well, here are some of the reasons we think couples might be going green:
1. Test of Time: Many couples give away the centrepieces at their reception, and fresh flowers are less versatile. Greenery lasts longer and often lends itself to being re-planted by its new owner.
2. Colour Matching: Nature-based arrangements tend to match any colour scheme, so that could really relieve stress over seasonality or matching your décor.
3. DIY Brides: Many brides are lovin’ sites like pinterest and reading blogs for inspiration, where they’re finding ways to DIY certain wedding elements. Greenery is one way to personalize your décor, not to mention a great way to get your friends and family involved in the process.
4. Cost Counts: With floral arrangements ranging from $20 to $200 per, plant-based centrepieces are a more budget-friendly option (especially if it’s a DIY). With more and more couples covering wedding costs themselves, greener centrepieces may be a way to redistribute your budget and still cover all bases.
Remember that even if you opt for a greener feel, decorators and florists play an important role in your wedding. From bouquets to ceremony décor, sourcing product and placement, some things need to have a professional touch to get the day just right.
Looking for more wedding focused content? Visit our blog here: http://www.hockley.com/blog/
At Hockley Valley Resort, we’ve got the inside scoop on a lot of home remedies you’ve never heard of, so we asked some of our departments to share some of their secrets with us. Here are the tips and tricks our experts think you should know:
From the spa: Duct tape wart removal! Here’s how it’s done: cover the wart with duct tape for 6 days, remove the duct tape, soak the wart, then use an emery board/pumice stone to remove skin on top of the wart if possible. Reapply and follow the steps until it’s gone – could take up to 2 months, but it’s a pain-free removal.
From the kitchen: Asparagus is in season, but do you know the best way to eat it? To ensure you don’t eat any of the woodier parts of the asparagus, simply snap the asparagus at the base. It’s easy to know where to snap it, because it will naturally snap where it becomes tender. You don’t need to waste any either – use the discarded bottoms in an asparagus soup base…. Spring sure is delicious!
From housekeeping: Got a stain you can’t remove? Try peroxide! From furniture to carpets to clothing, it removes stains without removing colour. All you need is a spray bottle and a rag for blotting, and you can say goodbye to your stains…
From the garden: Got bugs? Take a natural approach! For mosquitos, try planting citronella, ageratum or catnip to keep them away. As a general tip, marigolds and lavender can be used to combat beetles, squash bugs, tomato hornworms moths and spiders – making them a great choice as an overall bug deterrent in your garden.
Looking for more useful tips and tricks? Check out our blog here: http://www.hockley.com/blog/
Looking to serve your friends something new? Take your get together to a new level with Babbo’s Spiked Lemonade! Here’s how we make it:
Fill a mason jar with ice.
Add ½ oz. simple syrup.
Add 1 oz of vodka.
Add 2 tsp. of pureed strawberries.
Add 2 oz. of lemon juice.
Top with soda water and enjoy!
Looking for more recipes to enjoy? Visit our blog here: http://www.hockley.com/blog/
With the temps heating up and our days getting longer, staying hydrated should be top priority for kids and adults alike. According to the Mayo Clinic, men should be drinking about 13 cups and women 9 cups per day, on average. But does plain old water bore you? We’ve come up with a list of ways to freshen up your H2O, that’ll have you thirsting for more:
1. Cucumber: Give your water a boost in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, while infusing a fresh taste – and it’s also been credited with curbing appetite and lowering blood pressure.
2. Fruit ice cubes: Freeze fresh berries into ice cubes and add to your water for a sweet surprise! Take advantage of the anti-oxidants that most berries offer, while naturally sweetening and keeping your water cold – it’s a triple threat!
3. Citrus fruits: Pucker up with lemon, lime or orange slices to add a great summer kick! Along with all the health benefits that come with citrus (potassium, cleansing, reducing inflammation, to name a few) it will also leave you with amazingly fresh breath!
4. Crushed pineapple and mint: Feeling exotic? This duet will feel like a cool breeze on a hot day, not to mention that it should help with digestion and perking up your immune system to avoid the dreaded summer cold.
5. Vanilla: Naturally high in anti-oxidants, fresh or extract, this is a unique treat. If you want it sweeter, add Stevia or the natural sweetener of your choice. Try this one out on your kids, too for a totally new take on water.
6. Apples and cinnamon: Available all year round, this classic combo has been known to lower blood sugar while boosting energy! For best results, slice apples and grate fresh cinnamon, and you can even use the same apples slices up to 4 times without needing new ones.
7. Jalapeno peppers: For sinus relief, a break from your headache relief or if you’re just feeling spicy, add whole peppers to your water and take it up a notch. Muy caliente!
Looking for more lifestyle advice? Try our blog here: http://www.hockley.com/blog/