5 Must-Have Essential Oils
Author: Hockley Valley Resort
Essential oils (emphasis on the word essential) are an amazing way to help treat a wide variety of symptoms and ailments. Keep in mind that some oils are so potent that they can’t even be applied directly and need to be mixed with a carrier oil, so make sure you do a little research before you go gung ho!
We asked our Spa Director, Katie Gilligan, for her top 5 go-to essential oils, and here’s her list of must-haves to fight what’s ailing you this season:
1. Tea Tree: A super hero of essential oils! Tea tree is anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal, helping to treat anything from the flu (mix it with a carrier oil and add it to your bath) to lice (add it to your shampoo). For fungal infections, it can be applied directly to the area. Tea tree is so versatile, be sure to keep a supply of this one handy!
2. Lavender: Also an over-achiever, lavender is anti-viral, anti-bacterial. It’s also used for soothing and calming - some people put it in their pillows, stuffed animals or in a diffuser for a more relaxed nighttime. Almost anything goes with lavender; it can be applied directly on burns or cuts, added to a bath for soothing or can be mixed with a carrier oil for a relaxing massage.
3. Eucalyptus: Just breathe! Eucalyptus is an amazing oil aiding with congestion, coughs, breathing and much more. Put it in your bath water for colds and flus or add it to a bowl of boiled water, drape a towel over your head and inhale! Breathe even easier by combining it with a carrier oil and massaging it right on your chest. It can also help to sterilize the air in a room, if you use it with a diffuser.
4. Peppermint: Plumbing trouble? Adding peppermint oil to a glass of water is great for digestion and internal concerns. Its anti-inflammatory properties also make it a good one for muscular and vascular issues in the legs. Help to reduce inflammation by combining peppermint with your body lotion or for a massage, just add it to a carrier oil and go for it!
5. Geranium: It’s an essential oil that is great for your skin, commonly used for acne, dermatitis and other skin conditions. Mix it with a carrier oil and apply directly to trouble spots, or treat your skin in the bath. Geranium also smells nice and can be used as a calming, fragrant perfume. Look great and smell sweet with this one!
Our spa uses aromatherapy and essential oils in many of our treatments. Take advantage of our new spa-licious promotion and get pampered by a professional today! http://www.hockley.com/Winter-Spa%5Elicious