Concentrate on Kale
Author: Hockley Valley Resort
Are you looking to boost your immune system, cut back on calories and add variety to your diet? Consider kale: it’s nutrient-packed, tasty and can be used in a multitude of recipes. What’s so great about kale? Everything! Here’s a list of some of its key benefits:
- It packs a vitamin punch; it’s loaded with vitamins A, C and K, promoting healthy eyesight, disease prevention and anti-inflammatory benefits.
- It has a ton of calcium, helping in the maintenance of strong, healthy bones.
- Kale boasts anti-oxidants like carotenoids and flavonoids, commonly associated with fighting cancer.
- It is a great source of minerals like copper, potassium, iron, manganese and phosphorus.
- Its high fiber content works hard at helping to lower cholesterol levels and at keep you feeling full.
Not only can kale be the star of a dish in its own right, but why not substitute kale into one of your regular recipes? Our signature restaurant cabin came up with an amazing take on an old classic - it’s our Winter Caesar Salad.
Here’s how we do it:
Winter Caesar Salad
Yield – approx 1 litre of dressing
1 cup sour cream
¼ cup Hewitt’s buttermilk
2 hardboiled free-run organic eggs
1 Tbsp. Kozlik’s Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp. capers
3 white anchovy filets – in oil
2 garden garlic cloves
Juice from 1 large lemon
¼ cup Niagara Riesling vinegar
1 cup grated Parmigiano reggiano
A good lug of Worcestershire sauce
1 fl. oz. gherkin juice
2 whole gherkins
1 Tsp. smoked paprika
½ bunch chopped parsley
1 bunch chopped garden grown Tuscan kale – remove the stems if fibrous
1 head chopped blond frisse
Bacon and House-made Brioche Croutons:
A good slab of bacon– cooked and rendered
Pull the bread into large chunks and toss with Parmigiano cheese, thyme, crushed garlic, and olive oil. Bake until golden brown on a sheet tray lined with parchment. Cool.
For the dressing, combine all items in a blender and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning to your liking. In a bowl, combine kale and a liberal amount of dressing. Massage the kale with the dressing and then add the frisse and gently toss. Finish with freshly grated Parmigiano reggiano cheese, extra virgin olive oil and garnish.
Try this and many more of our incredible dishes at cabin, for an unforgettable culinary experience!