Are your kids giving you grief at bedtime? Getting munchkins to go to bed isn’t always easy, but some information might help! According to the experts, getting regular healthy sleep can impact your child’s academics, creativity and sport. Set them up for success by getting them to bed on time and see what a difference it can make:
1. Forget-me-not: Apparently, though your body is resting while you slumber, your mind is not. A process called ‘consolidation’ is occurring during the wee hours, where memories from what was learned throughout the day are being strengthened. This ‘brain backup’ is a crucial part of kids’ retention and successful learning.
2. Get creative: Getting a good night’s sleep and ‘consolidation’ also allows your kids’ brains to reorganize and re-structure as well, leaving them the mental freedom for creativity the next day. Having a fresh, clear morning mind can set the tone for a fun and creative day!
3. Be a sport: A study conducted at Stanford University determined that college football players who slept at least 10 hours a night for seven to eight weeks had more stamina and improved their average sprint time. For active little’uns, this is especially important so that they can last the day and play for hours – hopefully leaving them tuckered out for another great night’s sleep…
4. Make the grade: A 2010 study in the journal Sleep showed that children between the ages of 10 and 16 could have “significant functional impairment at school” if they have disordered breathing, including anything from snoring, sleep apnea or any type of interrupted breathing during sleep. Listen in to see whether your child has any of these symptoms and visit your doctor if you have any concerns…
5. Stay sharp: In a 2009 study in the journal Pediatrics, children ages 7 and 8 who got less than about eight hours of sleep aper night were found more likely to be hyperactive, inattentive and impulsive. Keep your kids calmer and happier by getting more z’s on a nightly basis.
At Hockley Valley Resort, we have several overnight packages to get your family the sleep you need! http://www.hockley.com/stay/accommodation-packages/
Looking for more blog posts on health and wellness? Check out our blog posts here: http://www.hockley.com/blog/