While Halloween in North America has turned into a mostly commercial tradition, it wasn’t always that way. Here are some things you may not already know about Halloween’s haunting history:
1. The first jack o’lanterns were made out of turnips.
2. Having a fear of Halloween is called Samhainophobia.
3. Harry Houdini died on Halloween night in 1926.
4. In the 1880s, when candy corn was originally invented by the Wunderle Candy Company, it was named “chicken feed.”
5. Black cats were once believed to be witches’ assistants who helped protect their powers.
6. Though the most popular is the field variety, there are over 50 different types of pumpkins.
7. According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the largest jack o’lantern was carved by Scott Cully (New York) in 2010 and it weighed 1,810.5 lbs.
8. The next Halloween full moon is not expected until October 31st, 2020.
9. The movie Halloween had such a small budget that they used a William Shatner Star Trek mask for the Michael Myers character, which was the cheapest mask they could find.
10. According to Forbes Magazine, in 2013, 13.8% of people dressed up their pets for Halloween.
Visit our boo-tiful resort on October 31st for our Halloween Dinner and Dance! Find all the details here https://www.hockley.com/events/halloween-dinner-and-dance/