For Immediate Release – November 7, 2017 (Mono, ON)
On October 19th, 2017, the Dufferin Board of Trade celebrated the winners of the 2017 Business Excellence Awards. Hockley Valley Resort was awarded the Business Excellence Award for Sustainability!
Hockley Valley Resort is a year-round resort destination located in the Hills of Headwaters, in the heart of some of Ontario’s most picturesque countryside. The resort features 104 luxury rooms and suites, 14 meeting rooms, 3 restaurants, an 8,000 sq. ft. full-service spa and a 2-acre on-site organic garden. The resort is home to a championship 18-hole golf course designed by renowned Canadian golf course architect Thomas McBroom, as well as 15 scenic ski and snowboard runs for all levels, including an upper and lower freestyle terrain park and magic carpet.
At Hockley Valley Resort, they are dedicated to implementing, practicing and improving sustainability wherever they can, including:
– A compost program diverting 70 tonnes of waste from landfills to turn it into re-usable compost, making use of as much waste as possible.
– The kitchen uses environmentally-friendly dish soap/recycled paper products, saving 21,367kgs of paper, 74,873L of water 32 cubic m landfill space, 43.802 kw of energy, 897L of oil, 641 kg of pollutants and 182 trees annually!
– The kitchen has also installed the GOSLYNtm system, separating fat, oil and grease, diverting 99.6% of it from going into septic systems. This results in a by-product that can be recycled for use within the bio-diesel industry.
The resort has invested in addressing the environmental impact of their operations, while achieving financial success and addressing the social well-being of their employees and the community. Here is how:
– A 2-acre on-site organic fruit/vegetable garden, providing most of the produce for the restaurants, lessening the impact to the environment from transporting produce and making it a sustainable resource for the kitchen.
– The resort, with the Nottawasaga Valley Conservation Authority, conducts stream and river testing annually to maintain clean streams and functioning eco-systems. Drainage has been built so that the water used for snowmaking and the water from the spring thaw is transferred back to the river and 2 on-site storage ponds.
The resort, as part of their renovations, converted old heating/cooling systems to new, energy-efficient options, upgrading to natural gas, where possible. This included replacing 3 boiler units running at 45% efficiency, which now run at 95% efficiency.
The resort is very proud of their sustainability practices and makes an effort to communicate that to guests by:
– Including products in biodegradable packaging, all paper products are recycled material and all hygienic items are plant-based. This promotes the resort’s strategy in the guestrooms. Guests are also encouraged to stay “green,” with recycling bins in each room, glass option (vs. paper), and a water-saving towel/laundering service.
– Serving guests on reusable china and with cloth napkins, with take-out facilities using biodegradable packaging.
– Reserving special parking spots close to the entrance for hybrid vehicles and posting ‘No Idling’ signs at the entrance to promote the idea of ‘green thinking’ throughout the resort.
– The resort proudly displays their Green Initiatives Program link on their website’s homepage, so that guests visiting their website can learn about the resort’s sustainability practices.
About Hockley Valley Resort
Hockley Valley Resort is a year-round resort destination located in the heart of some of Ontario’s most picturesque countryside, one hour from downtown Toronto. Hockley Valley Resort first opened its doors in 1985. The 300-acre property features 104 luxury rooms and suites, 14 meeting rooms and an 8,000 square foot, full-service spa. The resort is home to a championship 18-hole golf course and 15 scenic ski and snowboard runs for all levels, including an upper and lower freestyle terrain park. For more information, please visit www.hockley.com.
– 30 –
For more information please contact:
Shannon Smith, Director, Marketing